Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Friend of God

Matthew 26: 14-18
Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" So they counted out for him thirty silver coins. From then on Judas watched for an opportunity to hand him over.

Matthew 26: 20-23, 25
When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me." They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?" Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me." 22They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?" Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?" Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you."

Can you imagine being Judas at the table, and having all eyes turn toward you? Awwwwkward! I really wonder what that moment was like. I have a feeling he wasn't the most popular guy in the bunch...
Obviously, Judas knows that he's the one that Jesus is talking about because we see that he already planned to do it before the Lord's Supper. He must be asking just to see if Jesus knows what he's planning.

Matthew 26: 47-50
While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him. Jesus replied, "Friend, do what you came for."

FRIEND!?! Let's keep in mind that Jesus is fully aware of what that kiss means. Jesus is fully aware that Judas is betraying him and that he is about to die a horrible death. If I were Jesus at that moment, the word "friend" would not be in my vocabulary. It would be something more along the lines of $%#$$%$^$^$%...insert whatever foul-mouthed word you'd like in there. There would have also been some sort of physical altercation if it were me, instead Jesus provides healing (Luke 22:51)

I have learned two things from Jesus in this moment:
1. If he was able to love even his betrayer, then I should love those who betray and mistreat me. I surely haven't been betrayed/mistreated to that extent.
2. Jesus' reactions to situations are completely the opposite of what the world expects. It draws attention and raises eyebrows. It causes people to question His motives and examine the reason behind this actions.

How can you act differently in a way that draws attention to God?

1 comment:

Jaclyn.... said...

Thanks for the insight, Missy! Oh, how He loves THIS betrayer!

Hope you are doing well! Look forward to seeing you sometime when I come back to the States.

Post a Comment