For those of you who don't know, my husband and I don't have children yet. Since we got married, I started thinking about what sort of parent I would be. Would I be strict? Lenient? A combination? I know that when I was younger, I thought that I would NEVER be the sort of parent that my parents were. But now as I'm older, I can see that a lot of the things that they wouldn't allow me to do as a teenager protected me from being in potentially harmful situations.
This is what I've learned from my wonderful mother:
- Sometimes it's more important to be a parent than a best friend.
- Seek the Lord's guidance in everything.
- Show kindness and compassion to all people.
- Take care of your family.
- It's better to be classy than draw attention to yourself for all the wrong reasons.
- If you love someone, make sure that they know it by your words and actions.
- Support the people you love when they are doing something that they love. (Thanks mom, for attending EVERY soccer game, no matter how far away.)
Happy Mothers Day, Mom!