Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Help me to do Your will... if I will.




I wonder how many of us reach our full potential in Christ. Hmm... probably no one, ever. Sometimes we just get so caught up in worrying how others will see us, or letting go of something that God is calling us to release. Or other times, we resist what God is calling us to do because it doesn't align with our will for ourselves.

The latter is usually my problem. In college, God was practically screaming at me to break up with the guy that I was dating. All signs pointed to that. My friends didn't think we were good together, my family didn't think that we were good together, I didn't even think we were that good together. 

But I was comfortable.

Psalm 37:4

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
I wanted to have something that was more than just comfortable. I wanted something that was fantastic.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- God wanted me to give up something okay, for something excellent.

Had I continued to ignore God's will for me, I wouldn't be married to my husband right now. I'd be stuck in my "comfort" with the guy who wanted to break up when I didn't want to heat up his chicken strips for him. I would have given up something extraordinary for something that was barely ordinary.

And that's a simple example. By resisting God for any of the above reasons (and I'm sure there's more than that), we are giving up the amazing blessings that God has waiting for us. It like Michael Phelps at the Summer Olympics saying, "I think I want to trade my 8 gold medals for silver... no... make that bronze, please."

What is keeping you in the "ordinary" range? How can you let go of it?

Lord, I ask that we allow ourselves to let go of anything that acts as a barrier between us and You. Help us to recognize Your will for us, and help us be willing to go for the gold.


2 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

good post, Missy.
God's will and my will is something that I'm currently wrestling with!

Cole and Christy said...

Great post!

Post a Comment