Monday, April 4, 2011

Questions

I have been mulling this over in my mind for the past few days. I've been really trying to figure out how to word this question for the last couple of days until I realized that no matter what I do, it will most likely be controversial.

So let's just roll with it, shall we?

This question came into my mind after I retweeted something the other day. It was a post by Mark Driscoll, and it said this:
"Let me say this clearly, plainly, lovingly, pleadingly. You are in danger. Without Jesus, you go to hell."

I lost 3 followers within about 5 mintues, and I actually got to have a discussion with another one that didn't unfollow, but it was clear that she was irritated at first.

And her point was well worded. She was saying that God's message is love, not fear. I agree. I can definitely see how this tweet is polarizing. I can definitely see how saying things like this can cause people to think that they are being judged and by no means was that my goal with that retweet. I thought about it for a long time before I even retweeeted it because I knew it could cause some controversy.

The question that I am asking, is if it is always judgmental if someone says without Christ a person goes to hell?  Or can it be loving too?

Let's say that someone is a Christian and believes that hell is a horrible place, a place that lasts for eternity, and a place that no one can ever leave. Let's also assume that this person believes that one can be spared from this place by accepting Jesus.

Is that really judgmental? Is it really hateful?

Because my thoughts are:

If I didn't know and you did- how much are you hating me by not telling me?

So I guess my answer to this question is that it could be loving or judgmental depending on how it is said. I think it also depends on the person's heart as they are telling this to someone. I know that Christians can be horrible about acting "holier than thou" and that there are even some psychos out there that preach strictly judgment and forget all about love.

But there really are people that love you and want you to have an abundant life. A life filled with joy and a constant hope because of Jesus.

So what are your thoughts? This is something that I'm really curious to hear.

Keep it classy, peeps.

P.S. I have been racking my brain like crazy trying to find a new blog name. Bear with me!